Solid brass saddle ring with patina that measures 1 5/8 inches in diameter. This relic was found along the Chambersburg Pike west of Herr's Ridge, which was the position of the Confederate Army, on July 1, 1863, during the battle of Gettysburg. It was in this general vicinity that the opening shots of the battle were fired. It was originally in the collection of a Maryland Civil War relic hunter.
WBTS Trivia: The famous Battle of Gettysburg commenced early on the morning of July 1, 1863. The first shot was said to be fired by a Union cavalry officer in General John Buford's command, along the Chambersburg Pike, 3 miles west of town. The Confederate Army, marching down the Chambersburg Pike from Cashtown, were on their way into Gettysburg to search for desperately needed supplies. Rebel skirmishers were sent forward only expecting to possibly encounter some Yankee militia in the area, but instead they were unexpectedly met by dismounted elements of General Buford's cavalry. Two brigades of General Henry Heth's division, of General A.P. Hill's, 3rd Corps, of General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, were in line of battle on the top of Herr's Ridge, just west of Willoughby's Run. When the opening salvo was fired, General Heth ordered his division forward, and the Confederate assault on Gettysburg was underway! In the meantime, Union General John F. Reynold's 1st Corps, Army of the Potomac, were arriving on the field from the south, and they managed to repulse the Rebel assault, with General Reynolds being killed in the action.