Severely wounded at the battle of Seven Pines, Virginia
(1824-86) Brother of Union General Henry J. Hunt, he graduated in the West Point class of 1847. He served in the Mexican War and in the Pacific Northwest. He saw action in the 1862 Virginia Peninsular campaign under General George B. McClellan and was severely wounded at Seven Pines, Virginia. Following his recovery he was promoted to brigadier general and took part in General John G. Foster's movements against Kinston and Goldsboro, N.C. He later commanded the defenses of New York Harbor. He remained in the U.S. Army after the Civil War, and until his death, he served in various forts around the country.
Partial Document Signed With Rank: 7 3/4 x 6 1/2, in ink. Partial 1853 quartermaster related statement signed by Hunt with rank, "Yr. Obdt. Servt., L.C. Hunt, 1st Lieut. 4th Inf., A.A.Q.M." Addressed to Genl. Thos. S. Jessup, Quarter Master General, Washington City. Docket on the reverse, Lieut. L.C. Hunt, Fort Humboldt, May 4/53. Noted at the bottom is, Recd. July 12/53. Light age toning and wear. Very nice signature with rank and title.
Interesting facts about General Jesup and Fort Humboldt- Thomas S. Jesup, the recipient of this document, was a United States Army officer known as the "Father of the Modern Quartermaster Corps". His 52 year military career was one of the longest in the history of the U.S. Army.
Fort Humboldt, California, where this document originated, was established on a 35 foot high bluff overlooking Humboldt Bay, on January 30, 1853, during the California Gold Rush, by Captain Robert C. Buchanan, 4th U.S. Infantry. The fort was abandoned on September 14, 1867.
Captain Ulysses S. Grant, 4th U.S. Infantry, was posted to Fort Humboldt early in 1854.
In July 1854, Colonel Joseph K.F. Mansfield (later as a Union General he was killed at Antietam during the Civil War) inspected Fort Humboldt and was very complimentary about the garrison. He said, "These troops have done a great deal of work and put up all their quarters. Great credit is due this command for its industry, etc. A good bakery, hospital, store house and magazine have been built, and abundant quarters for officers."
At the beginning of the Civil War, the officers and enlisted men at Fort Humboldt declared their loyalties to the North and South respectively, and were recalled to the east coast to join their new commands. Like many posts in the west, Fort Humboldt was re-garrisoned by California Volunteer troops and became the headquarters of the Humboldt Military District. The district included Fort Bragg, Fort Wright, Fort Gaston, Fort Ter-Waw, Fort Seward and several camps. At the end of the war, the Federal troops returned and re-garrisoned Fort Humboldt.