(1827-80) Born at Augusta, Ga., he graduated from Yale in 1845, having studied law. He then worked in the newspaper business in Baltimore, and gave up journalism in 1848 to become a civil engineer associated with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. He then moved on to the Blue Ridge Railroad in 1855, working in Georgia and South Carolina until the commencement of the War Between the States when he enlisted as a private in the Fort Hill Guards of South Carolina. Soon afterwards he was appointed chief engineer of General John B. Magruder at Yorktown, Va. In October 1862, he was commissioned major of artillery, and placed in command of the Nitre Corps. Promoted to lieutenant colonel, and then colonel in 1863, he rendered very valuable service in producing desperately needed ordnance supplies for the Confederate Army. He was promoted to brigadier general, and commissary general, on February 16, 1865. Paroled at Thomasville, Ga., he returned to his profession of civil engineering and was associated with various railroads, and served as chief engineer for two years with the city of Louisville, Ky. At the time of his death he was in charge of the mining and engineering department of the Chesapeake & Ohio R.R. He is buried in Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, Va. where many of his Confederate brothers in arms rest.
Antique photograph, 2 1/2 x 3 7/8, view in Confederate uniform. Circa 1800's post Civil War print.