Signed by the commanding officer of the regiment who was wounded and captured at Gettysburg!
8 1/2 x 10 3/4, imprinted form, filled out in ink.
Invoice of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores, turned over by Capt. John Irvin, Comdg. 149th P.V., to Comdg. officer Co. C, 149th P.[ennysylvania] V.[olunteers] at Culpepper, Va., on the 6th day of February, 1864. The invoice lists an Enfield rifled musket, Cal. .577, bayonet scabbard, cap pouches, cartridge box, cartridge box plates, cartridge box belts, gun sling and non-commissioned officer's waist belts. I certify, That the above is a correct Invoice of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores turned over by me this 6th day of February, 1864, to Comdg. officer Co. C, 149th P.V. John Irvin, Capt. Comdg., 149th P.V. Excellent document. Very desirable regiment!
John Irvin, was a 26 year old resident of Clearfield County, Pa., when he enlisted on August 26, 1862, and was commissioned captain, in the 149th Pennsylvania Infantry. He was wounded and captured on July 1, 1863, at the battle of Gettysburg. He was promoted to major, February 10, 1864; lieutenant colonel, April 22, 1864; colonel, February 21, 1865; and was mustered out of service on June 24, 1865, at Elmira, New York.
149th Pennsylvania Infantry
This regiment (Bucktail) was recruited in the late summer of 1862 from the counties of Potter, Tioga, Lycoming, Clearfield, Clarion, Lebanon, Allegheny, Luzerne, Mifflin and Huntingdon, and was mustered into the U.S. service at the general camp of rendezvous in the month of August for a three years' term. Such had been the efficient service rendered during the first year of the war by the original Bucktails, the 42nd of the line, a strong demand arose for a Bucktail brigade from the state. Major Stone of the 42nd accordingly authorized by the Secretary of War in July, 1862, to proceed to the state and raise such a brigade. Within 20 days twenty companies were organized, which formed the 149th and 150th regiments, and there was a good prospect of raising a third and even a fourth regiment, when the Confederate army suddenly invaded Maryland and the two regiments already organized were immediately ordered to Washington. The men of the 149th were of fine physique, accustomed to the rifle, and wore the "bucktail" as did the original regiment of that name. It remained on duty in the vicinity of Washington until the middle of Feb., 1863, when it joined the Army of the Potomac at Belle Plain, Va., and was there assigned to Stone's (2nd) brigade, Doubleday's (3d) division, Reynolds' (1st) corps. It was in position on the right of the line at Chancellorsville, but was only lightly engaged and suffered no loss. It arrived on the field of Gettysburg at 11 o'clock a. m. on the first day of the battle and at once went into position on the ridge in front of the seminary, near the Chambersburg Pike. It maintained its position with great heroism throughout the first day until the whole line retreated through the town. Its heaviest losses were sustained in the fierce fighting of this day, though it was fearfully exposed during the great artillery duel of the third day. It lost 53 killed, 172 wounded and 111 captured or missing, a total of 336. Among the severely wounded were Colonel Stone, commanding the brigade, and Lieutenant Colonel Dwight, the regiment. While in winter quarters near Culpeper, it received a large number of recruits mostly conscripts. On May 4, 1864, it moved on the Wilderness campaign and fought at the battles of the Wilderness, Laurel Hill, the North Anna, Totopotomy, Cold Harbor and the first assaults on Petersburg. Its losses were enormous from the beginning of the campaign up to the end of July, amounting to 34 killed, 249 wounded and 121 missing, a total of 404. It was active in the work of the siege until the middle of August, when it was engaged with its corps on the Weldon Railroad, suffering some loss. Three weeks were then spent in fortifying, when it was relieved and held in reserve until Oct.1. It fought at Hatcher's run in October; shared in the raid on the Weldon Railroad in December; and fought its last engagement at Dabney's Mill in Feb., 1865, after which it was ordered north and was engaged in guarding the prison camp at Elmira, N.Y., until the close of its term of service. It was mustered out at Elmira on June 24, 1865, and proceeded to Harrisburg, Pa., where the men were paid and finally discharged.
Source: The Union Army, Vol. 1