Confederate & Union Tablets on Cemetery Hill
Antique photographs that were published in "Gettysburg The Pictures And The Story" published by Tipton & Blocher, Gettysburg, Pa., copyright 1913.
#1: Caption: Some Interesting Souvenirs Of The Battle. The various souvenirs of the battle illustrated on this page are worthy of note. The trees on Culp's Hill bear evidence of the fearful struggle that took place there. The stumps of trees are shown that have been blasted by the storm of bullets that struck them. The old cherry tree at the Sherfy House contains a solid shot, a realistic memorial of the missiles used in the struggle. There are also shown photographs of the Natural Runie Arch on Little Round Top, the bullet marked house on Washington Street in Gettysburg, and the natural formation known as the Sphinx, at the base of Round Top. The lower right hand photograph was taken July 5, 1863.
#2: Caption: Confederate Tablets On Seminary Ridge And Union Tablets On Cemetery Hill. Seminary Ridge, as heretofore described, was in possession of the Confederates during the entire three days' battle. The Tablet here erected to commemorate Confederate valor corresponds with those erected on Cemetery Hill to commemorate the courage of the "Boys in Blue," as shown in the above illustrations. There is also shown one of the five Steel Observation Towers erected by the Government on commanding positions, to give a bird's eye view of the various sections of the battlefield. Ziegler's Grove is situated a little to the south of the junction of the Emmitsburg Road and the Taneytown Road. At this point Hancock Avenue intersects the Taneytown Road and continues through the grove, southward, toward Round Top, and on the Union line of battle of the second and third days.
11 x 9 1/4. These historic images taken by Gettysburg photographer, W.H. Tipton, were published in conjunction with the 50th anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg.