Taken during the fall of Richmond, Va., April 3, 1865
The period note that was attached to this souvenir fabric remnant attests that it was removed from the Presidential chair of Jefferson Davis in the Confederate House of Representatives, on April 3rd, 1865, as Union troops and support forces entered the city. The note is written by George D. Murray and states, "A piece of the covering of the Pres. Chair in the House of Representatives taken at the time of occupation of Richmond by the Union troops, April 3rd, 1865, by George D. Murray." Federal records show a George D. Murray, Co. F, 5th Connecticut Volunteers. As the 5th did not pass through the city until later in the month, either Murray was detached from his unit and entered the city with another unit, or was one of the many civilian participants who entered the city with the advancing troops such as Sutlers, Sanitary Commission workers, and Doctors. Since the fabric originated from a Connecticut estate sale which contained other war souvenirs, we feel it is more likely that this George D. Murray was from the 5th Connecticut Infantry and not a civilian in Richmond.
Comes displayed in a handsome 12 x 15, gold wood frame, double matted in Confederate gray with florentine gold trim. The fabric is housed in a magnified box, and the display is nicely accented with copy photographs of President Jefferson Davis, and the Confederate Capitol building in Richmond, Va. The printed story as described above is also incorporated in this wonderful display with a relic from the last days of the Confederacy. Comes with a letter of authenticity that shows a copy of the original note of provenance.